David Veenstra started his legal career in Tampa, where he has worked on a variety of civil litigation at the trial and appellate level, including foreclosure defense, bankruptcy, contracts, and landlord/tenant disputes. Today, he focuses on marital and family law. Additionally, David serves on the Florida Bar Association’s Military Affairs Committee.
David attended Stetson University College of Law where he served as a Research Assistant for Family Law and in Trial Advocacy. He also achieved IRS Volunteer Income Tax Assistance/Tax Counseling for the Elderly Advanced Certification and served as a local site supervisor in the VITA program. He was inducted into the Phi Delta Phi International Legal Honor Society, was awarded the Fred G. Minnis Sr. Bar Association Diversity Scholarship, and received the William F. Blews Pro Bono Service Award.
Prior to becoming an attorney, David served in the United States Air Force and attained the rank of Senior Master Sergeant. Throughout his career, he was assigned to nine separate locations, including four overseas tours in the Pacific, the Far East, Southwest Asia and in Europe. A combat veteran, SMSgt Veenstra deployed overseas to participate in both Operation Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom, including leading troops while under fire in Iraq. He was also responsible for installation security at Andrews Air Force Base, home of Air Force One, and traveled by Air Force One outside the United States. Additionally, he traveled extensively for the Air Force on other missions, serving in 35 separate countries.
An Honor Graduate of the Air Force Law Enforcement Academy, SMSgt Veenstra served his entire career in the military police. As an Airman he received the following awards and decorations: Air Force Meritorious Service Medal (4), Air Force Commendation Medal (7), Air Force Achievement Medal (7), Army Achievement Medal (1), Southwest Asia Service Medal with 2 Bronze Star Devices, Air Force Good Conduct Medal (6), National Defense Service Medal (2), Southwest Asia Service Medal, Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal, Global War on Terrorism Service Medal, Korean Defense Service Medal, Military Outstanding Volunteer Service Medal, Navy Expert Rifle Medal, Coast Guard Expert Rifle Medal, Navy Expert Pistol Shot Medal, Coast Guard Expert Pistol Medal, Kuwait Liberation Medal Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, and the Kuwait Liberation Medal Government of Kuwait.
David was born and raised in the Tampa Bay area and graduated from H.B. Plant High School before matriculating at the University of South Florida. He has been married to Diane Veenstra, an elementary school classroom teacher who specializes in math and science, since 1984.
- United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- United States District Court Middle District of Florida
- United States Tax Court
- Florida Supreme Court
- The Florida Bar
- Florida Bar Family Law Section
- Florida Bar Association’s Military Affairs Committee
- American Bar Association
- Hillsborough County Bar Association
- Hillsborough County Military and Veterans Affairs Committee
- Hillsborough Bar Association Military and Veterans Affairs Committee
- Givens Family Law Inn of Court of Tampa
- Veterans Law Institute Pro Bono Initiative, Stetson Law
- Professional Association of Diving Instructors
- The Family Law American Inn of Court of Tampa
- Juris Doctor, Stetson University College of Law
- Master of Science, Criminal Justice, University of Central Florida
- President’s List & Dean’s List, 4.0 GPA
- Inducted into Alpha Phi Sigma, Criminal Justice Honor Society
- Selectee, Graduate Incentive Fellowship
- Bachelor of Arts, Criminology, University of South Florida
- Dean’s List and Honors Convocation
- Recipient, Airmen Achievement Award for Academic Superiority
- Recipient, Air Force Association Outstanding Academic Achievement “Eagle Grant”
Further Education, Training, & Accomplishments
- FBI National Academy, Federal Bureau of Investigation
- Department of Defense Inspector General School
- Hostage/Crisis Negotiations
- Master Instructor, Professional Association of Diving Instructors
- Eagle Scout, Boy Scouts of America