Uber accidents are more common than you may think. If you or a loved one are ever involved in a Tampa Uber accident, you need to know what to do, who to contact, and whether you can recover compensation to cover medical bills and more. Read on to discover the benefits of contacting an Uber accident lawyer in Tampa.
Understanding Tampa Uber Accidents
These days, more people than ever use Uber, Lyft, and other rideshare services. As of 2019, 36% of US adults have used at least one rideshare service, and that number has likely grown over the last few years. Odds are you and your family members have also used rideshare services to get to or from the airport or to transport you while your vehicle is in the shop.
However, Uber accidents are far from rare. When you hop into an Uber, you’re exposed to the same accident risk as when you drive your own car.
In fact, according to the American Association for the Advancement of Science, rideshare services accounted for about a 3% increase in serious accidents and traffic fatalities across the country as of 2018.
Tampa Uber Accident Insurance Liability
When you or someone else is involved in a Tampa Uber accident, insurance liability can be tricky to understand.
As the most popular rideshare company, Uber has a comprehensive insurance policy that describes exactly when and where it covers pedestrian or passenger injuries. Here’s a breakdown:
- When the Uber app is turned off by a driver, the driver’s personal auto insurance applies. So, if an Uber driver is involved in an accident when they aren’t using the Uber app, they’re responsible for injuries or damages they cause
- When the Uber app is turned on and the driver is available (e.g., looking for passengers or going to a passenger for pickup), Uber’s insurance policy may apply and could go up to $100,000 for injuries and up to $25,000 for property damage
- When an Uber driver is on a trip with a passenger, Uber’s commercial insurance coverage applies. This includes up to $1 million in third-party liability insurance coverage and up to $1 million in uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage
As you can see, whether or not you qualify for damages or compensation from Uber’s insurance policy depends on whether you’ve signed up for a ride, whether you’re in the vehicle, or whether you’re trying to use Uber at all.
A knowledgeable Tampa Uber accident lawyer can help you understand these intricacies and ensure that you file a lawsuit against the right person if necessary.
What to Do if You’re Involved in a Tampa Uber Accident
If you’re involved in a Tampa Uber accident, don’t worry about suing anyone or recovering damages just yet. Instead:
- Get yourself and anyone else to safety if possible
- Contact emergency services ASAP. The sooner emergency services arrive on the scene, the sooner you and others involved can get medical attention
- Don’t sign any papers or admit to fault, no matter what your role in the accident was (i.e., an Uber passenger, another driver, etc.)
Once medical personnel arrive, get yourself examined for injuries. You may be injured and not know it, but medical professionals know what to look for and can give you a clean bill of health.
Only after doing all this should you consider contacting experienced Uber car accident lawyers in Tampa.
Can You Seek Compensation for Uber Accident Damages?
Yes, in some cases. Florida is a no-fault auto accident state. That means you’ll qualify for insurance payouts from your insurance company if you are physically injured or receive property damage in most cases.
However, Florida does allow you to sue the negligent driver of another vehicle. For instance, if you are injured in an Uber accident by another Tampa driver who was driving carelessly, you could sue them for compensation.
Alternatively, if your Uber driver drives negligently and causes an accident, and that accident causes you to incur medical bills, you could have grounds to sue them or Uber as a whole. It all depends on the specifics of your case.
For this reason above all else, it’s important to contact a Uber accident lawyer in Tampa, FL right away.
Why Contact a Tampa Uber Accident Lawyer?
The right Tampa Uber accident law firm can provide a wide range of assistance to your case.
First and foremost, your Tampa Uber accident lawyers will be able to understand and explain your rights and potential legal actions. For instance, if you aren’t sure whether you have grounds for a lawsuit against Uber or an Uber driver, your lawyers will be able to tell you.
Next, Tampa Uber accident lawyers can help you negotiate with insurance companies if they refuse to pay out or file a lawsuit on your behalf if they can’t get your case settled. After a Tampa Uber accident, you should focus on recovering and healing, not the stress of dealing with insurance companies.
Should you decide to sue an at-fault party, your Tampa Uber accident lawyers will represent you zealously and present evidence compellingly and skillfully. Hunter Law, P.A. has the skill and experience necessary to ensure you see an optimal outcome for your case.
With your lawyers’ help, you may be able to recover compensation for:
- Past and future medical bills related to your Tampa Uber accident
- Lost income because of time that you have to take off work due to your injuries and, potentially, loss of future earning capacity
- Pain and suffering or discomfort
- Loss of companionship or loss of ability
- And much more
Contact Hunter Law Today
As experienced Tampa auto accident lawyers, Hunter Law, P.A. is well-equipped and ready to assist with your case. When you contact us, we’ll provide you with sound legal counsel and help you file for compensation against the at-fault party or the most relevant insurance company. Contact us today to learn more.