Motorcycle accidents are unfortunately quite common in Florida and throughout Tampa Bay. According to the Florida Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles Administration, there were over 8,600 motorcycle crashes in 2021 alone, as well as nearly 600 fatalities. If you or a loved one have been injured in a motorcycle accident in Tampa Bay, you need to know what to do and who to contact to maximize your recoverable damages. This article will break down both of those answers and more.
What To Do After a Motorcycle Accident in Tampa Bay
In the immediate aftermath of a motorcycle accident, you should get yourself and anyone else involved to safety.
Get your motorcycle or vehicle out of the road if possible and contact emergency services. If you are uninjured, take pictures of the accident scene and exchange insurance information with the other parties involved. However, do not admit to fault under any circumstances, even if you believe you may have been partially or mostly at fault.
After emergency services arrive, let them examine you. Even if you don’t feel injured, you may be affected by some “silent” or hard-to-detect motorcycle accident injuries. Medical professionals know what to look for and can help you escape future medical complications.
If you are injured, listen to the recommendations of medical professionals at the scene of the accident and get treated.
When To Contact Motorcycle Accident Lawyers
Once you’ve been medically stabilized – and once you’ve contacted your loved ones to let them know you are okay – it’s a good idea to contact knowledgeable motorcycle accident attorneys.
Try to contact motorcycle accident lawyers immediately following the crash or, at worst, within a day or two of your accident. Why?
The earlier motorcycle accident lawyers can get to work on your case, the better the odds they have of:
- Gathering crucial evidence that can sway a judge or jury to your side of the story
- Filing a successful lawsuit on your behalf
- Negotiating successfully with an at-fault party’s insurance company, especially if that insurance company tries not to pay when it should
Be upfront and honest with your lawyers about everything you can remember. The more information you give them, the better they can work for you.
How To Find the Best Motorcycle Accident Lawyers in Tampa Bay
Of course, you don’t want to settle for any motorcycle accident law firm. You want the best motorcycle accident attorneys in Tampa Bay overall.
Fortunately, you can find the best law firm for your needs by looking for a few major factors.
Experience in Motorcycle Accident Cases
Firstly, you should only hire a motorcycle accident lawyer that specializes in those types of cases. You don’t, for example, want to hire a workers’ compensation law firm to handle your motorcycle accident claim; the two types of firms are simply specialized in different case types.
You can oftentimes google a law firm’s name and look for past successful motorcycle case verdicts to see if they have experience in this area.
Plenty of Staff
Next, make sure that a potential law firm has plenty of staff on hand. You don’t want to go with a law firm that hands your case off to untested staff members or that juggles so many cases that your claim won’t be given the attention it deserves.
To determine this, be upfront and ask whether a lawyer has the time to handle your case and give it due attention. Also, make sure that you will be working directly with the lawyer assigned to your case. Too often, bigger law firms will have a non-lawyer case manager that is tasked with handling most aspects of your case. While they may be more than capable of doing so, you are hiring the services and knowledge of a lawyer, not just a case manager. The number one complaint from personal injury clients is that they never can get in touch with their lawyer.
Knowledge of Tampa Bay Motorcycle Accident Law
Again, it’s a good idea to go with a law firm with plenty of expertise in the local area. While state law is often most important, Tampa Bay-specific motorcycle accident laws and case precedents may affect your upcoming claim and potential compensation.
Tips on Hiring a Motorcycle Accident Attorney
Once you think you’ve found the right motorcycle accident law firm for your case, consider these tips to make sure you hire the right people:
- Always ask plenty of questions by taking advantage of a free consultation and case evaluation. Ask an attorney what their experience is, whether they specifically will work on your case, and what they think your odds of a successful settlement or verdict are in your case.
- Don’t go with an attorney that promises you a set dollar amount of damages or compensation. No lawyer can guarantee a legal outcome, no matter their skill or successful case history. Instead, go with an attorney that you feel is answering all of your questions competently and not just trying to give you a sales pitch to get you to sign with them.
- Double-check that a law firm has a good reputation and plenty of positive testimonials. You can do this by googling the law firm’s name or by checking a law firm’s website for a dedicated testimonials page.
What is Your Motorcycle Accident Injury Claim Worth?
Depending on the circumstances of your case and the total cost of your damages and medical bills, your motorcycle accident claim could be worth thousands or even millions of dollars. It’s all contingent on:
- The total cost of your medical bills and the potential cost of future treatment
- Your wage loss and loss of future earnings capacity
- The degree of pain and suffering you endured
- What level of fault, if any, is assigned to the negligent party in the case
- Whether the negligent party was breaking any laws
With the right legal team on your side, you could see compensation for:
- Past and future medical expenses, such as ongoing care or physical therapy
- Pain and suffering, both past and future
- Loss of ability if your injuries resulted in a debilitating loss
- Lost income from time spent away from work
- Future loss of earnings capacity
- Punitive damages if the negligent party was especially malicious or careless
Contact Hunter Law Today
It’s always a good idea to have legal backup when you take your motorcycle accident claim to court. That’s why you should hire Hunter Law today.
As experienced Tampa Bay motorcycle accident lawyers, we’re well-equipped and ready to assist with attempting to settle your case, lawsuit, or anything else you may need. We offer free case evaluations for all our new personal injury clients, so contact us today and let us start working for you!